With how quickly the government changes around our curriculums, we all need more resources but for so many of us, we need to purchase them out of our pockets and that just isn’t an option sometimes. So how do you ask for funds? What do you say? It can seem scary and difficult but really, you just need to ask in the right way. To help, I’ve created a document that solves this problem. It’s a letter to your admin or district you can use to get funding for your classroom resources. It’s fully editable and all laid out for you. Just customize it to your situation, and put it in an email. The worst they’ll say is no and if they do, no harm done.
It’s all below but if you’d like a printer-friendly version, just enter your email address below and a Word doc version will be sent to you immediately.
Where should I send your resource request letter?
SUBJECT LINE: Dear <Insert Your Admin’s Name Here>, I’d like to utilize school funds to purchase (a) resource(s) for my classroom.
Dear <Insert Your Admin’s Name Here>,
As you know, keeping up on the latest educational trends and standards is essential for our students’ success. < add a unique need or situation related to your school – i.e. With the introduction of the NGSS/With the push towards 5E lessons, we have needed to adjust our teaching practices and develop all new resources.> In order to meet the needs of the board/district and my students, I’d like to purchase resources that have been developed with <these standards or practices, etc. whatever you mentioned above as your school’s need> in mind. They will enhance our curriculum and increase my students’ opportunities to learn. I’d like your permission to utilize school funds to make my purchase(s).
These/This resource(s) have/has been downloaded hundreds of times, have/has been rated highly by teachers who have used it/them and also contains excellent feedback comments. They/It are/is aligned with our standards, are/is student centered, demonstrate(s) differentiation and adhere(s) to the latest educational research <on … (state the pedagogical revelation they want to hear you using)>.
I believe that purchasing these/this resource(s) will not only improve my students’ classroom experience, but will give me the time to focus on other aspects of my teaching such as <choose whichever example(s) fit(s) your situation – meeting the needs of each of my students, ensuring that my students are properly preparing for their standardized tests, dealing with specific behavior problems, prepping my lab, providing more detailed assessment comments, and simply getting everything done in a day. I need some help as I find I’m spending three to four hours a night prepping, which is taking away time from with my family>. Also, each resource/ the resource is self-contained so I won’t need to purchase as much equipment or supplies. These savings will offset the purchase cost after one year.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the type(s) of resource(s) I’m looking at purchasing: <choose one or more that corresponds to what you want to purchase or add your own. If you need more information on the product, take information from the product description>
- 5E lessons bundles. 5E lessons follow the nationally recognized format for guiding students through the 5 learning aspects including engagement, exploration, explanation, elaboration, and evaluation. Each bundle contains these 5 aspects of learning that have been proven to improve student learning outcomes as shown by The NRC’s book: How People Learn.
- Complete unit bundle on <provide unit here>. This includes all the lessons, activities, and assessments I’ll need to ensure my students succeed.
- Individual lessons and/or activities on <this subject>. These/this lesson(s)/activit(y)ies are interactive, engaging and let my students work collaboratively and utilize technology.
- Lab Station Activity bundle. This bundle contains a series of station labs that will test my students’ knowledge and provide excellent learning opportunities while utilizing technology.
- Science Reading Comprehension Article Bundle – These readings will improve our students’ scientific literacy and analysis skills, both of which are so important in the standardized tests and life outside the classroom. Furthermore, it’s really difficult to get quality readings that I can use as extension activities or as substitute plans to keep my kids on track while I’m away from my classroom. These readings solve both issues.
Here’s the cost breakdown and how much it will save the school on supplies:
<enter the cost of the item(s) you wish to purchase as well as how much you think you will save on supplies that don’t need to be purchased
Cost of the resource(s) –
Savings on school supplies – >
Thanks you for your time and consideration. I appreciate your support of my student’s needs.
<Insert Your Name Here>
Devon – Teach With Fergy
Where should I send your resource request letter?